Present

Major Influence in Niagara County Economics

NFARS is the largest employer in Niagara County with over 3,000 full and part-time personal.  The annual payroll is over $88 million and creates an economic impact of more than $143 million to the region.

Over the past fifteen years, there has been over $200 million in improvements at NFARS.  Most of the construction efforts were by local contractors and local union workers.

Daddy's homeMilitary Operations, Assets, and Value

NFARS is Niagara County’s largest employer, with over 3,000 military and civilian employees. When coupled with on-base tenants, contractors, and dual service positions, the base accounts for nearly 3,000 jobs. The base houses tenants from the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, Department of Defense, and civilian units. NFARS is a regional asset with 74% of its total workforce coming from Niagara and Erie Counties and the remaining 26% living in surrounding counties. The 987 acre base is located on the north side of Niagara Falls International Airport (IAG) in northwestern New York State.

NFARS is home to 8 C-130H2s and nearly 3,000 military, civil service and contract personnel from all branches both military and civilian. The NFIAP is a joint military and civilian use airport with support agreements between the Air Force and Niagara Frontier Transit Authority (NFTA). The 914 AW provides snow removal, grass cutting, maintenance support, fire crash and rescue and weather support to the airport. There are two runways for civil & military use, four drop zones, night vision goggle and assault training for combat tactical events.

Regional and International Presence

Strategically located on the Canadian border between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, NFARS is home to 8 C-130H2s and over 3,000 military, civil service and contract personnel from all branches both military and civilian. The Niagara Falls International Airport is a joint military and civilian use airport with support agreements between the Air Force and NFTA. The 914 AW provides snow removal, grass cutting, maintenance support, fire crash and rescue and weather support to the airport. There are two runways for civil and military use, four drop zones, night vision goggle and assault training for combat tactical events.

CBRNE Training914th Airlift Wing, Air Force Reserve

  • Host to tenant units representing the Army and Air National Guard, Army Reserve and Military Entrance Processing Station.
  • 1,987 personnel assigned with 33% from Erie County, 20% from Niagara County and 47% from outlying counties and other states.

107th Airlift Wing, New York Air National Guard

  • Deputy Commander for Joint Task Force 5. Responsible for WNY Region of the NY National Guard Defense Support for Civil Authorities (DSCA) Plan. Bed down and gateway support for DSCA support to WNY.
  • The 107th is undergoing a conversion to the MQ-9 Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA), tasked with supporting global air, space and cyberspace operations.
  • 630 personnel assigned with 45% from Erie County, 34% from Niagara County and 21% from outlying counties and other states.

Armed Forces Reserve Center

  • A result of 2005 BRAC as a reduction in defense expenditures, this facility totals 83,840 square feet and is home to the following units:
    – 2nd Squadron 101st Calvary, Army National Guard, 139 Personnel
    – 865th Combat Support Hospital, Army Reserve, 138 Personnel
    – 277th Quartermaster Company, Army Reserve, 242 Personnel
    – 1982nd Forward Surgical Team, Army Reserve, 21 Personnel

Homeland Response training at NiagaraMilitary Entrance Processing Station

  • Buffalo MEPS had over 8,000 visitors for FY13 and their workload consisted of the following:
    – 2,497 Medical Exams
    – 3,385 Enlistment Contract
    – 1,724 members shipped out
  • 26 MEPS personnel assigned along with 15 service liaisons from all branches of the military.
  • Buffalo MEPS has enlistment responsibilities for 11 counties in New York and 3 counties in Pennsylvania.